Animal Care Technician
O'Fallon, MO US
Animal Care Technician:
- Title: Animal Care Technician
- Location: O Fallon, MO
- Industry: Pharmaceutical
- Salary: $17.50 an hour and up based on experience
- Employment Type: This position can be Contract to Hire or Direct Placement
Responsible for performing assessments of animal health and well-being, produce quality product following SOPs and Outlines of Production (OPS) while maintaining biosecurity. Train new animal care staff as needed.
- Perform general animal husbandry and weekly test bleeds.
- Perform general cleaning of facility, upkeep, and disinfecting of rooms. Recycle chicken houses following SOPs and USDA filed Facility Documents.
- Perform various inoculations and harvests as scheduled.
- Prepare inoculum per SOP and OP instructions.
- Works in the BDA laboratory and/or chicken houses as required.
- Package and deliver product and samples to shipping and testing sites.
- Provide inventory tracking, including but not limited to feed tracking, at assigned site.
- Perform basic grounds maintenance as required.
- Complete required batch records, forms, and other paperwork associated with tasks completed.
- Ensure accurate documentation and paperwork is maintained.
- Operate C02 tank and cart, power washer, building fogger, laboratory equipment, and autoclave as assigned.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly preventative maintenance, rounds, and cleaning.
- Perform routine cleaning and sterilization of glassware, equipment, and laundry.
- Communicate work related information and concerns with Management team.
- Properly dispose of general trash and hazardous waste.
- Understand and conform to applicable methods and SOPs; train new staff as requested.
- Respond to alarms quickly and efficiently.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Provide after-hours and weekend coverage as needed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
- Regularly wears protective clothing (scrubs, lab coats, safety glasses and gloves).
- Regularly required to use hands to pick up and hold birds, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to move about the production facilities and grounds, position self to work with birds and at times remain stationary.
- Regularly lift and move 30 pounds and up to 60 pounds frequently The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to lift or otherwise move 30-60 lbs.
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time o Able to wear applicable personal protective equipment (PPE).
- High school diploma, General Education Degree (G.E.D.), or equivalent.
- 1-2 years of experience as Animal Products Associate Animal Care Technician.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written. Self motivated, dependable, flexible and able to work effectively as part of a team.