Associate Animal Care Technician
Preston, CT 06365 US
Title: Animal Care Technician
Location: Preston, CT
Shift: Mon-Fri 5am-1:30pm
Employment Type: Direct Placement
401K Plan with Company Matching
Up to 3 Weeks Paid Vacation
Up to 11.5 Paid Holiday Days
Medical, Vision, and Dental Coverage
Benefits are effective the 1st day of the month following your Start Date
For over five decades, our client has been recognized as the world s largest and most trusted producer of Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) eggs and adjacent laboratory products and services for the development and manufacture of biologics and vaccines that are used for both human and animal health. They supply leading manufacturers with critical bioprocessing inputs, including SPF eggs, antigens, and cell products. In addition, offer numerous diagnostic testing and manufacturing support services, including virus propagation and isolation, custom cell production, and quality control testing. They also support the development of new therapeutics by providing antibodies such as IgY for use in clinical trials.
Responsible for performing assessments of animal health and well-being, produce quality product following SOPs and Outlines of Production (OPs) while maintaining biosecurity.
- Perform general animal husbandry and weekly test bleeds.
- Perform general cleaning of facility, upkeep, and disinfecting of rooms. Recycle chicken houses following SOPs and USDA filed Facility Documents.
- Perform various inoculations and harvests as scheduled.
- Prepare inoculum per SOP and OP instructions.
- Works in the BDA laboratory and/or chicken houses as required.
- Perform basic grounds maintenance as required.
- Complete required batch records, forms, and other paperwork associated with tasks completed.
- Operate CO2 tank and cart, power washer, building fogger, laboratory equipment, and autoclave as assigned.
- Perform daily, weekly, and monthly preventative maintenance, rounds, and cleaning.
- Perform routine cleaning and sterilization of glassware, equipment, and laundry.
- Communicate work related information and concerns with Management team.
- Properly dispose of general trash and hazardous waste.
- Understand and conform to applicable methods and SOPs.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
- Regularly wears protective clothing (scrubs, lab coats, safety glasses and gloves).
- Regularly required to use hands to pick up and hold birds, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to move about the production facilities and grounds, position self to work with birds and at times remain stationary.
- Regularly lift and move 30 pounds and up to 60 pounds frequently
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to lift or otherwise move 30- 60 lbs.
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to wear applicable personal protective equipment (PPE).
- High school diploma, General Education Degree (G.E.D.), or equivalent.
- Valid driver s license with a good driving record.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written. Self motivated, dependable, flexible and able to work effectively as part of a team.