Machine Shop Manager
Billerica, MA 01821 US
Machine Shop Manager
Location: Billerica, MA
Industry: Defense / Manufacturing
Salary: $80-110k Depending on Experience
Employment Type: Direct Hire
- Technology degree (mechanical, manufacturing, industrial engineer, etc.) highly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably as a supervisor in a machine shop such as metal machining.
- Machine shop background with a focus in lathe work
- Background in metallurgy and/or metal forming
- Experience with LEAN manufacturing practices and continuous improvement concepts
- Fork Truck certification
- Strong experience with GD&T
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills are required
- Work well in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- High degree of problem-solving capability
- To be hardworking and detailed-oriented
- Responsible for establishing, coordinating and supporting all aspects of manufacturing and continuous improvements within the area, with a focus on Flowforming. The individual will be expected to apply lean manufacturing principles to lead, motivate, train and supervise employees.
- Be an essential participant in the continuous improvement plan through identifying opportunities, implementing solutions, and solving problems.
- Achieve department safety, quality, cycle time and on-time delivery goals
- Plan and direct area activities to obtain safe and efficient operations
- Apply leadership skills to lead, motivate and train personnel
- Manage employee schedules and all workforces in assigned area to include machining completion with area
- Evaluate the performance of employees within Flowforming department, conduct performance improvements plans as well as disciplinary actions when applicable
- Assist in the creation of work instructions for all aspects of flowforming processes
- Monitor processes and tasks in order to identify problems and improvement opportunities
- Identify, plan and lead improvements events utilizing continuous improvements tools
- Maintain the safety culture to raise employee awareness, recognize and correct unsafe conditions and acts
- Work closely with other departments within the business unit to ensure OTD (on time delivery) and proper flow production is met within area
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to: walk, sit, stand, bend, lift, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, use hands to fingers, handle or feel objects, and move continually during work hours; vision abilities, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus. Lift over 50lbs along with over the head lifting. Personal protective equipment typically required to perform essential functions of the job include ANSI rated metatarsal shoes, safety glasses, and cut-resistant gloves.
Work Environment: The position operates in a manufacturing atmosphere. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those any employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to: vibration or works near moving mechanical parts and high, precarious and congested places; occasionally exposed to risks of electrical shock; work on or near moving mechanical parts; exposed to prolonged risk of loud to moderate noise throughout the day. Hearing protection is recommended in all areas of the shop and is provided by the Company.
Keywork Searchstring: Operations Leader, Manufacturing Lead, Machine Shop Supervisor, Line Lead, Metal Machining, Lean Manufacturing, Lathe, Metallurgy, Metal forming, Flowform,