Manager of Laboratory Production
Storrs, CT 06268 US
Title: Manager of Laboratory Production
Location: Storrs, CT
Shift: Mon- Fri Day Shift (730am-4pm)
Salary: 75K and up depending on experience
Employment Type: Direct Placement
For over five decades, our client has been recognized as the world s largest and most trusted producer of Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) eggs and adjacent laboratory products and services for the development and manufacture of biologics and vaccines that are used for both human and animal health. They supply leading manufacturers with critical bioprocessing inputs, including SPF eggs, antigens, and cell products. In addition, offer numerous diagnostic testing and manufacturing support services, including virus propagation and isolation, custom cell production, and quality control testing. They also support the development of new therapeutics by providing antibodies such as IgY for use in clinical trials.
Manage all aspects of laboratory reagent production/products and packing & shipping, work with customers on special requests and product information. Direct the development, interpretation, implementation, and achievement of short- and long-range objectives, policies, budgets and operating plans for the laboratory business. Occasional travel between laboratory locations to meet with customers (Storrs, Preston, and Willimantic)
- Evaluate/ plan consumables use for yearly budgeting and to provide accurate estimated costs/cost studies.
- Schedule product production based on inventory and need. Implement, utilize and oversee an inventory monitoring/reservation system for lab products.
- Coordinate antiserum production and forecasts with applicable departments based on inventory and yearly needs.
- Coordinate cell orders for tissue culture antigen with applicable department.
- of required testing to SBS department.
- Prepare, review and submit documentation for testing and/or release of USDA licensed plate antigens.
- Oversee the animal products departments/projects including scheduling and processing of USDA licensed FFM product lines (BDA, Bursas).
- Represent laboratory products departments in regulatory and customer audits.
- Work with suppliers on discounts/in formation/sourcing.
- Work with Facilities Manager for equipment/building repairs and work orders.
- In conjunction with the head of Laboratory Operations and customers, develop procedures for production of special products.
- Manage activities of assigned group(s) to ensure effective performance of function.
- Interview and select qualified exempt- and non-exempt level departmental personnel. Recommend, review, and approve personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Partner with Human Resources in the handling of disciplinary issues. Prepare and/or approve appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Authorize overtime as needed. Review and approve timecards and vacation/time off requests, and coordinate vacation/time off schedules.
- Assist in the development of short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements.
- Assist in the development and recommendation of departmental budgets. Authorize expenditures in accordance with budget. Approve expenses of subordinates.
- Ensure optimum performance of group functions. Determine and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Develop and maintain departmental systems and SOPs. Develop and communicate departmental policies and procedures. Partner with Human Resources to develop and approve job descriptions for subordinate positions; ensure communication of duties and responsibilities to employees.
- Prepare and/or approve monthly and quarterly reports for inventory values, labor and product transfers.
- Identify training and development needs of direct reports.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Provide regular coaching and counseling. Prepare and deliver salary and performance reviews; review and approve performance and salary appraisals initiated by direct reports.
- Implement document and sample retention program for department according to CRL s retention policy.
- Assist with updating USDA documentation (OPs, FDS, labels, etc.) as the SME.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to odors, chemicals and reagents.
- Noise level is usually quiet.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly provides information to and receives information from/through various technologies, media, sources and contacts. Must be able to accurately exchange information in these situations.
- Education: bachelor s degree (B.A./B.S.) in a biological science.
- Experience: 5+ years related experience (or combination of education and experience)
- Other: Supervisory/management skills; Familiarity with Microsoft Office
SRG offers flexible staffing solutions with a national presence. We provide contract, contract-to-hire, direct hire and executive search services. SRG utilizes an innovative approach to identify and qualify talent that is unique to the Staffing industry, featuring a cutting-edge platform that allows us to match professionals rapidly and precisely to client requirements. We have a proprietary database of over one million candidates and maintain continuous contact with our qualified talent.