Storrs, CT US
- Title: Molecular Technologist
- Location: Storrs, CT
- Industry: Pharmaceutical
- Shift: Mon-Fri 7:30- 4pm
- Salary: $24 an hour and up based on experience
- Employment Type: Direct Placement
Responsible for the effective processing of commercial samples for infectious disease testing according to standard operating procedures (SOPs) and good manufacturing practices (GMP) regulations.
- Perform all laboratory sample processing functions (receive, store, etc.) in support of the molecular laboratory. Sample types may include blood, feces or other tissues, bacterial cultures, environmental swabs, reagents or media.
- Extract DNA/RNA or TNA from samples using various nucleic acid isolation methods.
- Perform PCR for the detection of bacteria and viruses.
- Analysis of raw data and interpretation of results.
- Perform general housekeeping, adhere to safety procedures.
- Maintain up to date training records on all procedures and protocols applicable to work duties.
- Responsible for complying with all SOPs, policies, safety procedures and protocols pertaining to specific area of responsibility, including GMP.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Busy research laboratory environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and/or biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles.
- Works with biological samples with risk of exposure to zoonotic disease and biohazards.
- The noise level in the work environment ranges from low to moderate depending upon the task being performed.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move about inside the laboratory to access equipment and product.
- Regularly provides information to and receives information from/through various technologies, media, sources and contacts. Must be able to accurately exchange information in these situations.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position frequently while performing laboratory tasks.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is required to use personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves, protective clothing and eye equipment.
- Bachelor s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Biology or related discipline.
- One or more years related technical experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Ability to communicate and follow verbal and written directions accurately. Ability to multi-task. Organizational skills and attention to detail required. Experience using computers and peripheral hardware preferred.