Network Operations Technician
San Antonio, TX 78216 US
Network Operations Technician
Location: San Antonio, TX
Industry: Dept. of Defense
Salary: $80-$115k + STI
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Clearance: Active Top Secret or TS/SCI Required
- Associate degree in Engineering, Electronics, Software, or Networks; or a related technical or vocational education or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of applicable work experience.
- Minimum of 5+ years experience with SONET based, long-haul and metro transport networks, next-generation DWDM wavelength systems, SDH networks with SNCP rings, DCCS cross-connect systems and/or Ethernet, VPLS, IP, MPLS
- Strong working knowledge and experience on DWDM Layer 1, Metro Ethernet and IP communications (IPv4, IPv6, routing protocols)
- Technical knowledge and experience on contemporary technologies (e.g. MPLS, TDM, Ethernet, eLAN-eLine, TCP/IP, BGP, QoS, IP, etc)
- Previous experience with broadband and/or narrowband circuit maintenance, testing and restoration, provisioning databases and circuit activations
- Previous experience with routers, IP protocols, configurations, interfaces is strongly preferred
- Prior experience with Transport platforms (i.e. Nortel, Cisco, Ciena, Lucent and Tellabs) and Data platforms (Cisco, Juniper, Adtran)
- Ability to relate technical issues to management and Government personnel, interfacing in a professional manner with management and customers.
- Flexibility with regard to work levels and shift accommodation is imperative
- Preferred Cisco CCIP, CCDP, CCNP certifications, Juniper or ALU data networking equivalent
- Ability to test using standard protocols, as well as Iperf and Brix platforms
- Must be a US Citizen due to Clearance requirements.
- Must have an active Top Secret or TS/SCI clearance
- The technician proactively monitors, responds to and resolves network issues and alarms. In the process of network restoration notifies management and program office with risk potential and an impact assessment.
- Perform circuit and equipment/network restoration, recognize potential jeopardy conditions.
- Management of circuits (T1 - 100Gb, Ethernet & IP), perform testing and activation of new network circuits as well as long-haul, metro and international optical networks.
- Work very closely with Federal government network operation centers (NOC) customers for all demand and scheduled maintenance to conform to customer network management requirements and protocols.
- Analyze network troubles, assess performance data and develop design optimization plans accordingly
- Interface with fiber vendors, telecom providers and other entities on complex technical matters.
- Participate as a Lead/SME to select customers to participate in regular customer meetings, procedural reviews, audits, and other functions
- Review and interpret electric data processing (EDP) and as-built engineering documentation
- Coordinate and track return material authorization (RMA) requests, including vendor interface to obtain RMA authorization requests and completion of RMA submittal forms
- Analyze, test and repair Layer 2/3 network problems. Ensure services conform to customer mandated SLAs for latency, packet loss, jitter, throughput.
- Other duties as assigned.
Keywork Searchstring: Network Engineer, IT Systems Engineer, Lead, Information Technology, SONET, DMDW, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing, Top Secret, Full Scope Poly, Cleared, Broadband Circuit, Network Activation, Tier 3 Support, Tier III, Optical Networking, DNC,